Monday, November 18, 2013

The Rule of Signs

Probably one of the most confusing things for kids in math class is positives and negatives. I know that when I was in grade school, and still to the day, I struggle with this. I have found printable charts of the rules of signs by searching the World Wide Web. I have found that the only way for me to remember and apply the rules is by having a visual representation of them at all times. I can see this being a great thing for my future students. I plan on making a HUGE printable of the following pictures:


I am a strong believer in charts, but they can't be too busy, I think it makes it harder for a child's mind to remember for later work. I have actually made both of the above charts into jumbo size and glued them to red and blue construction paper, and hung them in my own classroom for the school-aged children that I help with homework. The rules of signs is another big thing I have noticed students that I help struggle with. I have found that by having huge charts in my room has really helped them to become quicker, and more confident in solving math problems that involve positives and negatives.
I did some further searching on the Internet and found a couple of great songs to help students in remembering the rule of signs, please check them out below:





I have actually introduced these two, and some more, songs to the school aged children at my work, and now they can't stop singing them. Okay I can't stop singing them either. I have got to admit, using songs to help children learn is a great idea. I use songs a lot in my own classroom. We have songs for skip counting, the vowels and consonants, the seasons, the months of the year, and much much more. I have found that using songs to teach somewhat complicated subjects acts like a superglue; sticking the ideas and concepts in the children's minds and never letting go. I have had students from 5+ years ago still come up and sing some of the songs I taught them. If teachers could only be more open to newer and creative ways for teaching...



No comments:

Post a Comment